Saturday, September 5, 2015

Next Stop: Nina by Robin Raven ~ Author Spotlight & Review




Synopsis:

Nina is pushed to the edge, then falls over that edge into a whole new world. 

There's something different about Nina; she never felt comfortable in this world. As she struggles to cope with the pain of her present and past, the young girl's life is changed through the beauty of art. 

When Nina grows up and winds up in over her head in a dark place, she finds herself somehow transported to another time when nothing is quite what it seems. She must fight the horrors of her past all over again. Along the way, she faces greater challenges than she imagined and enjoys sweet surprises when she discovers true love. 

This is a character-driven novel with a heroine who faces suicidal depression on her own terms, and that's just the beginning. At its heart, Next Stop: Nina is a love story that takes on the types of love that change us and allow us to discover the truth in ourselves.






Next Stop: NinaNext Stop: Nina by Robin Raven
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Time travel or delusions I’m not sure what to think.


Nina Newman is a disturbed woman filled with suicidal
thoughts.

Her childhood filled with abuse and emotional terror
delivered by her schizo father.


“I wonder whether I should kill myself or make toast.
That’s a typical thought that races through my mind.”



After a failed attempt she awakens as a child
with the hopes of changing the path of her life.

Next Stop: Nina 2 photo next Stop nina 2.jpg

At first, I was concerned with the numerous chapters
then diving in realizing some are only one or two
pages long, some reading like excerpts.

Told in first person through Nina’s memories she
echoes or relives periods of her life as if on auto play.

Painful, sad and depressing days lived repeatedly
until finally you think the end is near.

But what end, her life or the time leaps to times of despair.

Uplifting is the love Nina discovers only to lost it again
and again.

 photo Next Stop Nina 1.jpg


Leonard Daley/Lens is the love of her life, her soul mate
only the story never progresses pass a certain point and I
had to wonder was he her “ex” who abused her?

She did have an ex husband who beat her, so who is he?

Questions left unanswered as the story reflects/replays
from childhood through young woman but never
at the age when she first experienced the shift in time.

A mysterious man stalks her through time and when he
reveals himself and the reason I had to ask..why and who?
I was confused on why he thought reruns of her life was
a good solution.


I needed Nina to go back to the present to set things
straight.
Is she really dead and by whom, who is the mystery man or
simply time jumping due to traumatic stress?

This is the author’s debut novel; she did a good job
holding my attention pushing me to finish what could have
been a DNF.


I’m not really a fan of time travel to relive and reread ones
uncertainty over and over, so I rate this 3.5 stars.


Provided an arc for honest review


View all my reviews

Q&A

Anything you can tell us about yourself that your readers may not know.

In addition to writing, I also love to act and create music. I feel as though I have learned a great deal about storytelling from different art forms, and that ultimately finds its way into my fiction writing.

How long have you been writing and who influenced you?

I have been writing fiction for pretty much all my life. I would make up fictional stories about drawings and art that I saw before I could actually read and write.

What inspires you while you are writing?

Oh, all kinds of things. I love to have music on while I’m writing, and I love to have the windows open in the fall. Feeling very strongly about someone or something can really influence how I write or what I choose to write about. I get inspired by so many different things, from dreams that I’ve had to an animal I met to how a certain experience made me feel. Sometimes I’ll just focus on a feeling and, from there, a story just flows.

Your current work, Next Stop: Nina is a combo time travel/romance book that deals with suicide and depression.  Did you do any research on the subject?

Yes, I did, and I am pretty open about being a survivor of suicide. That’s an odd term, but it’s used to describe someone who has survived the suicide of a loved one. My dad committed suicide when I was ten years old, and I experienced depression when I was very young. Having come out the other side of that, I hope that I can show that it is possible to go on to live a very happy, full, and wonderful life no matter how dark and bleak things may look at this moment.

Your favorite book or author

My favorite author is Quinn Cummings. I find her very inspiring. Although I studied writing in school and have written all my life, I kind of lost sight of my focus and goals as a writer. When I discovered her blog, I rediscovered my love of writing, and I have since become a full-time writer.

Where is your favorite place to write?

I don’t know that I have one, but you have given me the inspiration to try to figure out where that may be.

What makes you laugh/cry?

I have a lot of empathy for people as well as animals, so many things can make me laugh and cry. Three of my favorite comedies of all time that never fail to make me laugh are The Brady Girls Get MarriedFather of the Bride (1991), and American Beauty.

Worst Habit

Eating too much sugar!

Embarrassing Moment

Oh, I’ve had lots of those.

What’s the last movie you watched and loved? 

The most recent movie that I’ve seen and absolutely loved was Stories We Tell by Sarah Polley.  That was one of the most incredible documentaries, and it was so beautifully told.

One of your favorite quotes.

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” – Plato

The gadget you can’t live without

My laptop, if laptops count as gadgets, and my tablet that serves as my e-reader.




 BIO

Robin Raven is the human who once belonged to the greatest dog that ever lived. "Next Stop: Nina" is Robin's debut novel. She has several other works of fiction that she hopes to share in the near future. 

Born in Mobile, Alabama, Robin grew up in a nearby town called Saraland, and her hometown is a lovely place that still inspires her. As an adult, Ms. Raven has mostly lived in Los Angeles and New York City, so she also considers those cities to be home.

Robin blogs at RobinRaven.com and often has her nose in a book. If she's not reading or writing, you can probably find Robin daydreaming about adopting a rescue donkey. Delicious vegan food rocks her world. So does effective altruism. In addition to being an author, Robin has worked as a professional actress. She loves to connect with fellow writers and readers, so feel free to say hi to her on social media.

AUTHOR LINKS
@RobinRaven



No comments:

Post a Comment